Let’s throw out some numbers:
- Based on the post below, it’s 123.00 in gasoline just to get there and back.
- On Wednesday, July 10, I dropped 367.00 on new tires, tubes, pedals, some maintenance work, and a few other things.
- Back on July 5 I spent 106.71 on new headlamps, tail lamps, and some other bike parts.
- A week’s parking pass for the car in Fort Madison, Iowa was 55.00.
- To register for the ride itself cost 155.00
- The bus that will take my fat ass and the truck that will take my bicycle from Fort Madison (the finish line) to Council Bluffs (the start) cost 145.00.
- “Week long support” with the Pork Belly Ventures tour group was 345.00.
- The first night I get to Iowa I’ll be staying at the Super 8 in Keokuk, Iowa. Another 80.00.
- During the ride I’ll be spending three nights indoors instead of camping. Each location requires a “donation” of $10 to $20. Another 40.00 total for the three nights.
- New tent, new lights, batteries, caps, rain gear, and other stuff cost about 400.00
A little over 1800.00 . . . so far. Throw in another 300.00 for food and incidentals and we’re safely over two grand for this little experience.
On the other hand, it’s worth it. Unless I get run over by a train or something . . .